A year since we moved to Hawaii

1:58 AM

Exactly a year ago, we flew to Hawaii to start our new adventure. Even though that day ended up being a very emotional and frustrating day, I wanted to record it to prove I've come a long way ;)

June 2, 2015: After wrangling our children for what seemed forever (or six hours) on our flight to Hawaii,  I was tired, HUNGRY and anxious to get settled. We landed at the airport (so grateful we made it safely!) and got our luggage. We were a sight to see as we had 3 adults, 4 kids, 9 pieces of luggage, 4 carseats, 3 backpacks and a double stroller. It was crazy! With our whole family, it cost us close to 100 dollars to get a taxi to drive us to our hotel that was 15 min away. Along the way, the taxi breaks down and we are in a hot car with lots of people. Thankfully, it starts up soon later and we made it to our hotel, where I walk in and it smells like pee. It was more run down than I thought it would be and the kitchen was way less than I anticipated from the pictures online. I knew I wouldn't really be able to "cook" much like I thought I would.
Right after we dropped our bags off, another taxi came to pick us up so we could get our rental car. At this point it was like 5pm arizona time and I was tired and I hadn't eaten since breakfast. (Which is never a good combination for me) I'm in the backseat of the taxi with Jocelyn who was only 4 months old and bryan is at the front. I look down at Jocelyn who had been moved around from airplane to car, to the hotel and back to another car without having no time to be fed between it all. She begins to fuss. I knew she was so hungry. She looks at me and being the most perfect baby, just lays her head down and falls asleep. I begin to cry....as softly as I could. I not only felt so guilty for not being able to feed my starving child, but I left our hotel quickly leaving behind Julia who was with my other 3 starving children with no food and a smelly hotel where I would have to live in for a month. On top of those emotions I also left behind some awesome friendships in AZ and a very familiar place to only be thrown in a busy city where I didn't know anyone or anywhere to go. And on top of that Bryan started work the very next day so he wasn't going to be much help. I cried and cried the whole way to pick up the rental. I was trying to be quiet but I guess I wasn't as Bryan texted me asking if I was okay. haha!
Even as I write this, I still get emotional, how hard that transition was for me.
After getting the rental car we head to a "grocery store" more like a little mart that they had in Waikiki. I about died when I saw the prices. Haha! We were tight on money  I couldn't believe I was going to be paying 7 dollars for a box of cereal and 6 dollars for milk. This did not help to my emotions.
 Because of the time change, and gaining 3 extra hours, it felt like the longest day of my life. After the kids fell asleep early, I asked Julia if she would walk with me to find a beach or something to rid me of my negative feelings. haha! It was a great pick me upper and just what I needed to realize that this place is pretty despite all the frustating feelings I had felt that day.

That month long stay in Waikiki continued to have its challenges but it got better for sure. It taught me a lot about how hard change is. And how hard the first and second and even 30th day can be. BUT it does get better as you become more and more comfortable with your new reality. We feel so lucky that during the month we were able to buy a 2nd car, and find a place to live. The Lord was really looking out for us during it all. And we owe my sister Julia for the rest of our lives as she willingly helped out, babysat our kids and provided sanity for me ALL WHILE she was sick.


The adjustment to Hawaii continued to be rough as I really missed my friends, wasn't used to the small roads, cost of living and being SO far from family. I went through a rough time and felt lonely. And then I felt dumb for hating Hawaii (because who hates Hawaii??) and then I became even more sad. Haha, it was a downward spiral.
Luckily so many moms told me it took them 6 months to get used to living in Hawaii. And sure enough, they were right. After 6 months I began to like and even LOVE Hawaii. The weather, the beaches, the aloha spirit. All of it is so amazing and I'll be so sad to leave it!

It's crazy the first year of residency is behind us! Bryan is a champ and works 6 days a week, working 15 hour days. He does it all without complaining. And when he comes home, he is so eager to help out with the house and kids! First year hasn't been the easiest with the crazy schedule but it also hasn't been as hard as I thought it would. Luckily the awesome weather year around allows me to get out with my kids and we have such awesome parks and beaches to go to. That is such a huge help! We are so lucky to live here.


You Might Also Like

1 comments!