Happy Birthday mom!

12:02 AM

Happy 60th Birthday Mom!! ( I feel like it's ok to mention your age because let's be honest, you are the only person who can look younger with each birthday!)



 I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to be raised by this amazing woman! I just wish my kids could be around their grandparents more often and learn from their great example. One thing I do want my kids to always remember is that their Grandma Lewis has mastered the Christlike attribute of selfless service. 

To give you a glimpse of this, my mom was diagnosed with polio at the age of 3 and had to undergo many surgeries soon after the devastating news. (Now that I have a 3 year old daughter, I can't even imagine watching my child, that young, struggle through day to day tasks with a physical disability which would affect her, her whole life) 

Though the polio halted her from doing activities that her friends participated in and left her in a lot of pain, the trial didn't stop my mom from accomplishing her life long dreams. At age 21, she served a mission to Texas and then later became a wife and a mom to nine children. 

Everyday, as I take care of 2 kids I'm in awe with how my mom managed to take care of nine while dealing with immense pain. Some nights it would be so bad, she would literally have to crawl from room to room to put us kids to bed. She never once complained. Growing up, I would admire my mom's ability to get us out of bed at 6am  for scripture study and then make us breakfast and once we were gone for school, she would go lay down to rest her legs. Then she would get up to clean the dishes and do the laundry and then go back to rest. This would go on all day. Although, I'm sure my mom would rather get all the chores done without having to rest, some of my fondest moments would be coming into her room after school and talking with her while she laid down. It was during those down times that we had the best of conversations. She taught me a lot during those few minutes. 

Mom, I love you lots and lots! You really are my hero and I feel like if I can be 1/16th of the wife and mother you are, I would be satisfied! The 60 years of your life have been a gift and blessing to mine and so many other people's lives! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!

You Might Also Like

4 comments!