2013 Oregon mother of the year

10:32 PM

This last weekend happened to be a time where I was really itching to be in Oregon. Most of my sisters gathered together to be there for my mom when she found out on Saturday night that she was awarded 2013 Oregon Mother of the Year.


My mom was nominated back in September of 2012 and throughout the next few months went through multiple interviews along with assembling a portfolio. My mom, being the most humble person alive, was hesitant to pursue this nomination as she doesn't like to be in the spotlight but knew the importance of standing up for mothers and went ahead and did it.

I thought my sister put it well when she said "Thrilling night to be with my mother as she was named the 2013 Oregon Mother of the Year. She gave a most humble yet passionate speech on the power and influence of mothers. She's not one that seeks the spotlight so this is all a little uncomfortable for her, but it is an honor most deserved! 

As a woman who has devoted her life to being a mother, she will now be such a wonderful ambassador for the American Mothers Association and for the cause of motherhood. I am excited for all the good she will do this year! Good luck with a very busy year ahead...proud of you, Mom!!!

I'm so proud of my mom for not only getting this award but always BEING the mother of the year in my eyes. I'm in awe over and over again when I think about her raising nine children while battling post polio. I often ask her the question, "so after six and seven kids, you still wanted to have another one..... and another one??

It's funny how I've become more and more like my mom in what I say to my kids or how I run the house. I've also noticed little things like, I never leave the house without a waterbottle and snack. Something my mom always did. Growing up I would get annoyed filling up my mom's waterbottle even if we were driving 10 min away and now I find myself doing the same exact thing.
But most of all, my mom was so good about making time for each one. She was so interested in each person's life and you always walked away feeling like you were the favorite child (let's be honest siblings, I probably was ;)

CONGRATS MOM!! I love you! And I'm so excited to see you and have you raise my children for me while you are here :) Maybe I can get you to potty train Christian for me :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments!