Happy 91st Birthday
11:02 PMMeet my Grandma Lewis
Isn't she just beautiful? You would never guess that she turned 91 this week by the way she looks and acts. I'm amazed that even at her age she holds a calling, has 3 visiting teaching routes and goes to the temple regularly.
I feel so lucky that I was able to be at her birthday party along with other cousins and aunts who each gave tribute to her. One of the tributes that summed up my grandma well was that Grandma is an elegant woman and has always been ( I don't think I have ever seen her not in a dress) BUT she still knows how to have fun.
| just some of my beautiful/amazing aunts and cousins |
Living so far away from her for most of my life, I missed out on interacting with her often but I learned an important principle from her. And that is never let trials get in your way. I can point out two examples from her life that exemplified this.
1. After my Grandpa passed away 6 years ago, it was really hard on my grandma as I'm sure it is for anyone to lose their spouse. She would spend days later crying and crying. But it didn't take too much time for my grandma to realize that she can't always cry and so the opposite of crying is laughing. And so she would read joke books and force her family around her to sit down and listen to her jokes. For those who have heard my grandma tell jokes know that it isn't the joke that is so funny but how my grandma would tell them. She usually could never finish one because she would be laughing too hard knowing the end of the joke.
2. As my grandma has gotten older, her hearing has only gotten worst. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be trying to talk on the phone or be in a group conversation where you could only hear half of what they were saying. But that hasn't stopped my grandma from keeping in contact with her family. So, when most people her age would stray from using computers, my grandma learned how to use email really well and now keeps up with everyone through it. It's a good thing she did since she has 12 children, 75 grandchildren and 138+ great-grandchildren living all over. (Bryan and I like to joke that my grandma and grandpa have a posterity that would even make Abraham jealous)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Grandma! Now on to number 92!
3 comments!