tribute to Grandpa Smith

6:48 PM



These pictures were taken a year ago. I have a recent picture of us a month ago, but I like these better because it shows Grandpa in a better state!


Grandpa Smith passed away on Sunday around 5:45am. He has been suffering with terminal liver disease for three years, so we knew his time was near. Last Thursday, I got word from my mom that he was no longer eating or drinking and that he was sleeping all the time. So we knew in a matter of days that he would pass. But even while I was expecting it, when the news came that morning it was still so hard. I'm convinced no one can ever truly be prepared for the news of a loved one passing. But despite his death, I'm so grateful to know that he is suffering no more and that many reunions are happening.

I love what it says in True to the Faith about death. "The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life."
Grandpa Smith lived a life full of love and I learned so many lessons from him.

One of my fondest memories was when I spent Thanksgiving weekend with him during my sophomore year of college. I was a little hesitant at first to go because I thought that it may be kind of boring to spend all weekend there but it turned out to be the best. We sat and talked a lot, played checkers (which of course he always won. I even promised that I would practice and get better and that one day I would be beat him Unfortunately, that never happened...), watched the BYU vs Utah game, and set up his christmas lights and decorations.

While staying there, he taught me the importance of doing things right the FIRST time even if it's the slower route.

He taught me to take pride in my work. My grandpa was a master gardener. He loved his yard and all the plants/flowers that surrounded it. Whenever I visited him, he would show me around his yard and what his favorite flowers were.

Most of all, he taught me to always love the Lord and appreciate what He has given us. I feel indebted to him for the example he was and the great daugther he raised who is my mother!

Love ya Grandpa!!!


You Might Also Like

3 comments!