The story you've all been waiting for!

10:21 PM

(written by Bryan--- one day I will tell the play by play story)
Last Friday we went whitewater rafting with Crismon, Cody and Megan (Cody's girlfriend)It was a lot of fun even though the river was some what placid. We went to the Weber river where the adventure took place.

At one point down the river, Crismon turned to me and said, "I wish the rapids were bigger" Over the next set of rapids Crismon sat at the very front of the raft with his legs hanging over the edge. By the time that we emerged out of the rapids the only visible part of Crismon were his legs sticking straight up in the air. Nonetheless the most dangerous part of the river was all the newbies with paddles. When ever we went over a rapid they seemed to forget that they had a paddle in their hand in all of the excitement. Lets just say that some of the participants make better executioners then rowers; you know who you are.

One point on the run down the river we got stuck on a rock. It is mostly because we had to blow up the 5 man raft with a duct taped hand pump. Ya, it was probably only blown up half way. So there we are stuck side ways in the middle of the river...so I crawl on to the rock. I have always thought I was agile, I was wrong. SO i lift the raft off the rock and then launch myself onto the raft as went over the rapids. If memory serves me right, I looked like a duck shot our of the air. Meredith almost fell over board laughing so hard.

The run took us about 2 1/2 hours and we decided to go down the river again but pull out half way so we could make it home to Evelyn. I marked the pull out spot by buckling one of the life jackets to a rock by the river. Because we rented the life jacket from BYU, I staked it in with sticks so there would be no chance of losing it

So when we make it down the river to the marked spot we noticed the the group ahead of us had stolen the life jacket. I was confident that they were just doing a good deed and thought someone probably left the jacket behind.

So when we pulled out I sent Cody and Megan to the next takeout to wait for the boaters while the rest cleaned up. When the boaters passed by they said they threw it out a while ago and that it should float down the river soon. Who catches and releases a life jacket??? It's not a flippin fish!

This is when the story gets really funny. So,I told everyone to leave so they could relieve my sister from babysitting duty. They all pile in one car and left. I decided then to make way up the river to see if the life jacket got stuck on the bank. Here are some interesting facts:

  • I hiked 3 miles up river. On average, I hiked about 2 of those miles waist deep in the river.
  • I was forced to cross the river 6 times because the current was so strong
  • I was overpowered by the river 3 times I lost my footing and was immersed. One of those times I lost my G top trying to save my glasses
  • As the sun set the river was covered with nats, misquitos, and other flying bugs. Misquitos feasted on me and in return I swallowed enough bugs to last a weeks worth of protein
  • I had to jump over a barb wire fence 5 times
  • I ran into one barb wire fence at full jogging speed in the dark
  • Though jeans are heavy in water they do not act as an anchor to prevent you from flowing down stream.... I know, who would of thought. But I was still so glad I wore jeans rafting
  • Running through waist high level brush does NOT mean the ground is level. It DOES mean that I had a hard core face plant.
  • Once I fell of a cliff running along the bank of the river, my knee still hurts.
  • It was so dark when I was running back, I was forced to run on the freeway. It was also so dark that I missed the exit ramp to the car TWICE on my run back
  • I shared a fire for warmth form a drunk bum and he gave me directions, bonus point
TOTALLY WORTH IT/ TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT
  • Totally worth it to run my first 10k. GO BRYAN!
  • Totally not worth it because it was a real eye opener to how out of shape I am. A year ago I ran a half marathon in less time
  • Totally worth it to not have to pay for the life jacket. And I picked a beautiful wild sunflower for Meredith when I saw her next
  • Totally not worth it because I never found the life jacket (I'm convinced these guys stole it) and I was so tired, I left the sunflower on the roof of the car when I pulled out
  • Totally worth it: (mental picture) me running down a canyon pitch dark in levis and running shoes. My shirt off and tucked through my belt loop. It is raining slightly and my greek god bod is being lit up every 30 sec by lighting. You know you want me!
  • Totally not worth it the reality check. The fact that despite my efforts and shirtless greek god bod no one would stop and give me a ride.
  • Totally worth it, I heard the ghost buster theme song on the ride home from the canyon. Oh ya, I was rocking out!
  • Totally not worth it, No victory drink at the end of the race. I left my mountain dew in the car that Meredith rode home in.
  • Totally worth it because of this funny story I can now tell.
  • Totally worth it because I have now beat A-A for the longest blog post, that is ten points. Plus all the missions I completed (inside joke).
So would I do it again? More pros than cons so probably yes!

Life lessons I learned on this adventure:

......Rivers are one time when it is okay to go with the flow
.......The boy scout buddy system is the way to go
.......Being frugal does not always pay off in the end. Especially if you don't find the jacket
.......That after 3 1/2 hours of hard exercise, it is easy to forgives the thieves
.......I am capable of being those people who you hear on the news dying doing something really stupid

You Might Also Like

6 comments!