Book Review

12:13 PM

I just finished reading, "The Actor and the Housewife" by Shannon Hale and I'm not sure how to rate it. It's ridiculous, but I lay in bed at night trying to figure out if I really liked the book.


Here is parts of the summary from the book

Mormon housewife Becky Jack is seven months pregnant with her fourth child when she meets celebrity heartthrob Felix Callahan. Twelve hours, one elevator ride, and one alcohol-free dinner later, something has happened…though nothing has happened. It isn’t sexual. It isn’t even quite love. But a month later Felix shows up in Salt Lake City to visit and before they know what’s hit them, Felix and Becky are best friends. Really. Becky’s husband is pretty cool about it. Her children roll their eyes. Her neighbors gossip endlessly. But Felix and Becky have something special…something unusual, something completely impossible to sustain. Or is it? A magical story, The Actor and the Housewife explores what could happen when your not-so-secret celebrity crush walks right into real life and changes everything.

I chose this book from the very beginning because I love Shannon Hale's books (and her writing in this book kept me going) but I was so disgusted by the plot. I personally think it is wrong to have a best friend of the opposite sex when you are married. Isn't that what your spouse is supposed to be? The one you go to when you are frustrated or need to vent? The one you share happy and no-so-happy times with? I felt terrible for Becky's husband who was so devoted and good to her. It was hard for him at first but he respected his wife and trusted her that it was going to be just a friendship.

So, I'm completely torn because Hale's writing was fabulous and kept me laughing throughout the whole book. There were parts where I had to stop and read it to Bryan because it was so good but the whole plot rubbed me the wrong way.

I want to hear your opinion on it whether you read it or not? Can you have a best friend of the opposite sex when you are married?

You Might Also Like

5 comments!